In this blog series, we’re looking at how enterprise content management brings modern technology to the insurance industry to streamline:
- Content capture
- Business process management (BPM) or workflow engine
- Case management
- Content management
- Integration with existing systems
- Enterprise file sync and share (EFSS)
- Mobile access
Part 3: Case Management
“I can’t find your file right now.” SAID NO CUSTOMER SERVICE REP EVER. But if your employees have to track down documents and data spread out among Excel spreadsheets, systems that don’t communicate with each other or worse, in paper files on employee desks, customer service suffers.
Insurers need on-the-spot access to claims information, case files, and documentation managed on one, easy-to-use platform.
Having a modern case management solution can make or break an insurer. It enhances claims and new business processing by giving a full view of the insured’s profile or risk in one single view. It amounts to better, more informed decision-making by improving investigations, customer service, incident management and claims handling.
Without up-to-date and automated ways to manage cases, insurers face delayed service requests, unanswered complaints, and limited visibility into work projects. Customer expectations for real-time service and responsiveness have grown exponentially in the last few years – they will leave an insurer with poor customer service in a heartbeat.
Do We Need Case Management Software?
It’s a valid question. Undoubtedly, adding software and investing in an enterprise content management solution (ECM) with integrated case management functionality is a critical decision.
- How does your organization currently process cases? Are there inefficiencies, error-prone manual steps, or siloed information?
- Are current processes enabling your knowledge workers to deliver the best possible service to your clients while remaining flexible and efficient?
- Can your employees solve problems effectively with a complete view of all the information they need to complete their work?
Your answers to these questions will suggest whether a software upgrade is what you need.
The Benefits of Case Management
A robust case management system (CMS) coordinates the collection and sharing of information among relevant users. The benefits include faster decision-making, better customer relationships, quicker claims processing from early assessment to investigation through settlement, easier processing tasks for employees when they have a complete view of the information they need, when and where they need it.
As an insurer begins the claim process, carriers are undertaking multiple tasks including collecting, collating, filing and reviewing supporting documentation to assess the claimant’s coverage, validating statements and negotiating payment of claims. Most legacy systems (and even some modern ones) lack the capability to effectively track and manage claims. They may store claim data, particularly final decisions, but most of the business decisions and actions around a claim happen outside the core system.
An ECM with a solution for coordinating cases gives claims examiners easy access to information, schedules tasks, highlights and processes notifications and adds time-based reminders to increase efficiency. It’s critical that such a process is integrated with financial systems to manage payment schedules, provides control over the release of funds, and streamlines track and audit claims-related activities to reduce compliance risks.
Here are some of the strategic benefits of an integrated case management solution:
- Increases productivity. An automated solution for managing cases reduces the need to search for information across multiple data sources – it gives a complete view of information all in one place. No more toggling between systems or managing multiple spreadsheets – staff remain within the same intuitive interface, logging activities, adding notes and updates, delegating tasks, and scheduling events.
- Improves visibility and control. Reporting dashboards and activity audit trails increase transparency, support compliance and help organizations identify opportunities for improvement.
- Ensure smooth handoffs and effective collaboration. With critical information and supporting content instantly accessible to all authorized employees throughout the case, organizations gain effective collaboration – whether that’s while completing a project, resolving an issue or providing exceptional customer service.
A modern enterprise solution ensures tasks are completed in a timely manner with reminders, timers, notifications, and other communications. It also drives value with fast deployment and quick returns with a full audit trail for reporting and compliance with operational policies.
By managing data relationships, documents and processes on a single platform integrated with your core systems, an enterprise technology solution empowers employees to effectively manage cases and make better business decisions. A platform that scales to support business needs across individuals, teams and departments drives value and elevates productivity enterprise-wide.
Our next blog in this series will highlight content management.
But for now: what kind of case management challenges are you currently facing?
ImageSoft can guide you through the selection of enterprise solutions for insurers to achieve the efficiencies and cost savings you need. Our industry-leading solutions for insurance offer automated workflows, improved speed and efficiency, reduced costs and proper compliance. ImageSoft is ready to help your company reap the benefits from integrated enterprise content management.
Follow ImageSoft’s Insurance Solutions LinkedIn Showcase page for more details about ECM.